Skyrim is a popular game in the gaming universe. It’s a first-person action-adventure game that consists of one of the biggest open-world role playing games as of today. The game features an immersive storyline as well along with amazing character development. A total of five installments comprises this series until now. Players can play this game on all major gaming platforms. This includes the likes of PC, Xbox, and PlayStation.
This particular article focuses on something that PC users have complained about having faced a lot of times. Most users have stated that they face this issue when they are launching the game. Its the Skyrim won’t launch problem and the PC usually crashes during such a situation. In case you’re facing the Skyrim won’t launch issue as well, follow this guide.
Reasons behind the Skyrim won’t launch problem
Even though the causes behind the Skyrim won’t launch issue isn’t confirmed, there are some solutions that work regardless of the cause. There are however some very common causes that the most of the users seem to have reported.
- If you have installed the game or updated it very recently, there is every possibility that game files haven’t yet been installed properly.
- The files are corrupt.
- The Skyrim won’t launch issue might also arise if you are using some sort of mod.
- Lastly, if there is an issue with Steam, the Skyrim won’t launch issue is bound to arise.
How to fix Skyrim won’t launch problem?
Resolving the Skyrim won’t launch issues isn’t rocket science. There are multiple methods that can be employed to fix the issue. The most used ones have been listed below.
Verifying the Game Cache
Once your game crashes because Skyrim won’t launch, you can look for game files. Chances are that the files haven’t been installed properly or they are corrupt. To fix that, follow the steps listed below.
- While you’re still in Steam Client, open the Game Library.
- Now look for Skyrim and then right-click on the option of Properties.
- In the section on Properties, open the tab that reads Local Files.
- You will see there’s a button below that reads Verify Integrity of Game Cache.
- Click on the button for starting the scanning process.
- It will automatically scan the file and verify if everything is alright.
Now check if the Skyrim won’t launch issue is still bothering you or not.
Uninstalling the Skyrim Script Extender (SKSE)
SKSE is an official app that has been developed by Skyrim developers. This particular app aims to mod gaming scripts. As a result, you get to add all kinds of changes that you want to. You can even incorporate extra features and capabilities. However, the Skyrim won’t launch issue isn’t completely stable in this case as well.
Obviously, you can use it, but only when you know something about it in advance about scripting. This is especially necessary if you happen to be a normal user who’s not aware of anything about it. Therefore, uninstalling the ‘disable SKSE mod’ is recommended.
In case the Skyrim won’t launch issue persists despite having tried the methods above so far, you can deploy this method. If you have any kind of Game mod installed for Skyrim, then the only reason for the Skyrim won’t launch issue is the mod.
Mods are usually unstable and throw obstacles when the game is running. Therefore, it is advised that you uninstall or simply disable the game Mod.
Restarting the Game
This is the simplest method of the lot. It requires troubleshooting the Skyrim won’t launch issue that will restart the game on your computer.
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc simultaneously to open Task Manager.
- Right-click the processes linked to Skyrim, in the Processes tab and choose End task.
Once that is over, relaunch the game to check if the Skyrim won’t launch issue persists. If yes, then you can restart your computer.
Disable all the unnecessary programs
Sometimes Skyrim won’t launch in case third-party programs are consuming a lot of resources from the CPU.
To ensure that you can use your computer resources fully, you have to disable all programs not required when you’re playing the game as mentioned previously. You also have the option of performing a clean boot so you can use not more than the required drivers and programs.
Running the game and Steam as Administrator
As discussed previously, insufficient permission may be why Skyrim won’t launch. You can fix that, by running the game and Steam as administrator.
- Right-click on the shortcut to Steam.
- Select Properties.
- Go to the Compatibility tab.
- Tick the checkbox adjacent to Run this program as administrator.
- Click on OK for saving the change.
- Now open the Steam client.
- Go to the Library tab.
- Right-click on the option that says The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition.
- Select Properties.
- Go to Local Files in Properties and select Browse Local Files.
- Right-click on the executable game file and select Properties.
- Select Compatibility and check the box that says Run this program as an administrator.
- Click on the Apply option.
- Restart Steam to check if the Skyrim won’t launch issue is still bothering you or not.
Verifying the integrity of game files
If your game files haven’t been installed properly or they have been corrupted, you will probably have to deal with the Skyrim won’t launch issue. To fix that, you need to verify the integrity of the game files. This is how it is done.
- Right-click on Steam launcher.
- Choose Run as administrator.
- Go to the Library tab and right-click The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition.
- Select Properties.
- Go to the section titled Local Files in the window that pops up
- Click on the option that says Verify Integrity of Game Files.
After the process is over, restart your system to launch your game to check whether or not Skyrim won’t launch.
Updating Windows to its latest version
You are probably aware that the manufacturers will release many new and updated GPU drivers as soon as the game is updated. In case your current GPU driver isn’t compatible with your game, you will have to deal with the Skyrim won’t launch issue even after your click on play.
You have the option to install the latest GPU drivers. You can do so by updating Windows or installing them directly from the website of the manufacturer.
- Press Win + I simultaneously that will open the Settings option.
- Now go to the section that says Update & Security.
- Click on the button that says Check for updates.
- This will start updating Windows 10 in case one is available.
- You can also install the updates manually.
Once you have installed them, you can restart the computer and check whether or Skyrim won’t launch.
Enabling High-Performance GPU
A lot of users have mentioned that they have fixed the Skyrim won’t launch issue by enabling a high-performance GPU. You too can do the same by following the steps listed below and setting the GPU to high performance.
- On your desktop, right-click on an empty area.
- From the options displayed, select NVidia Control Panel.
- Choose the Manage 3D settings from the pane to your left.
- Click on Power management mode.
- From the drop-down menu, choose Prefer Maximum Performance.
Updating the Graphics Drivers
Having graphic drivers that are appropriate and authentic is very important if you want to play a game without glitches. This is why you need to install graphic drivers and update them regularly.
At the same time, the updating process is pretty time-consuming as well as daunting. If you’re using the Bit Driver Updater, however, it won’t be a very difficult task.
Bit Driver Updater enables the user to perform driver download tasks in a very short span. It is capable of accelerating the system’s overall performance. The steps for updating the graphics drivers with the help of the Bit Driver Updater are as follows.
- Download the Updater.
- Follow each of the instructions that you see on your screen to complete the installation.
- Once it has been successfully installed, launch the updater on your system.
- The inspection for faulty or outdated drivers will begin automatically.
- Once that is over, it will list all the faulty drivers.
- Following this, you need to click on the Update Now tab.
- It will be adjacent to the drivers that are outdated.
Apart from that, you can also update all the other faulty drivers with just one click. If you install Bit Driver Updater, pro version, you will be able to do it. In addition to that, you can access the advanced features that provide you with an assurance of a 60-day money-back.
Of course, there are many other powerful driver updating software like Driver Booster that you can install to keep the drivers up to date.
The Skyrim won’t launch issue is very common and has been faced by a lot of users. It happens mostly when the game file or the mods lead to the game crashing down. The above methods however will be more than enough to fix any problem that might arise. It is up to you regarding which one you try.