Are you unable to download movies and songs from uTorrent because uTorrent keeps freezing? uTorrent is the most used torrenting app when it comes to downloading movies, software, games and other stuff. But when uTorrent keeps freezing, people feel the need to look for a different service, like BitTorrent.
However, BitTorrent also keeps freezing, as some people complain. Well, you will not have to complain that uTorrent keeps freezing anymore.
uTorrent keeps freezing is a common complaint but it can be easily solved permanently. Firstly, you need to close any running instances of uTorrent may also cause uTorrent not responding problem. Secondly, you may want to disable the firewall of your computer because it might be blocking uTorrent from running. After disabling the firewall, restart the computer. It will solve the issue of xtorrent not responding. There are also other ways to resolve the uTorrent keeps freezing issue.
If you are interested in knowing how to keep uTorrent from freezing anymore, I suggest that you keep reading. The methods discussed in detail below will ensure that you will never have to complain uTorrent keeps freezing anymore. It will always respond and will not crash when you are downloading your files.
These methods will also help you fix issues with other torrenting software like BitTorrent not responding or other issues.
How to fix ‘uTorrent keeps Freezing’ Problem – 8 Ways
Method 1: Restarting the app
If uTorrent keeps freezing and crashing on your system, you need to restart it. The reason behind the freezing could probably be a minor glitch causing it to crash. You first need to close any running instances of uTorrent on your system. You might be running it too many times causing many instances of uTorrent software to open and run in the background.
Go to Task Manager and restart the app. The following steps will help you understand better.
- Step 1: Press CTRL + ALT + DEL. Choose Task Manager.
- Step 2: Scroll down to click uTorrent client
- Step 3: Click the option that says End Task.
- Step 4: Relaunch uTorrent.
After relaunching the app, see if you can download files without any issue. However, if uTorrent keeps freezing again, you can restart the device system and see if there is any change.
Method 2: Restarting the device
If uTorrent keeps freezing regardless of the previous method, it is because of the improper functioning of the operating system. You can reboot your system so that your operating system can reload the files. Rebooting is a rather easy process.
- Step 1: Press the Windows button and open up Start.
- Step 2: Click the option that says Power.
- Step 3: From the options list, click Restart to initiate rebooting.
Once the rebooting is over, start uTorrent and see if you can download anything or if uTorrent keeps freezing even after the reboot.
Method 3: Running uTorrent as Administrator
uTorrent keeps freezing because of its inaccessibility to the resources of the system. The program may not have adequate permission from the system thereby leading it to crash very often. What you can do to prevent this is to operate uTorrent as Administrator which will deflect any hurdle. Let me show how this is done.
- Step 1: Close uTorrent.
- Step 2: Right-click the icon of uTorrent.
- Step 3: Click Run as an Administrator.
- Step 4: Click Yes to the message that appears on screen, asking you to verify.
Once again, see if you can download anything and if uTorrent keeps freezing simultaneously.
Method 4: uTorrent should run before files are downloaded
Some users of an online uTorrent group suggest that uTorrent keeps freezing when torrent files are opened during the launching of the uTorrent client.
This can be easily resolved by running uTorrent before any file is opened up. All you have to do is run uTorrent from the desktop. This should be followed by opening File Explorer to select the torrent file for downloading.
Method 5: Disabling the Proxy Server
A proxy server may be the reason why uTorrent keeps freezing since it may block those ports that uTorrent uses while accessing internet. To prevent this from occurring, the server needs to be disabled while you are still downloading stuff. This is how you do it.
- Step 1: Press Windows key and R to open Run Command Box.
- Step 2: Type intecpl.cpl and press Enter. This will open LAN settings.
- Step 3: Click Connections to choose LAN Settings.
- Step 4: Uncheck the option that says Use a Proxy Server for your LAN. Click OK.
Now open the program and see if you can download any file as well as discover if uTorrent keeps freezing.
Method 6: Allowing uTorrent on Firewall.
Another reason why uTorrent keeps freezing is the settings in Windows Firewall. Since uTorrent consumes plenty of bandwidth for downloading and uploading, the Firewall interprets it as illegal activity and puts a stop to it. You can fix the Firewall settings and prevent this from happening by following the given steps.
- Step 1: Press Windows and S to search Firewall.
- Step 2: Click Open and launch Windows Firewall and Network Protection Settings.
- Step 3: Select the option that says Allow an App Through Firewall.
- Step 4: Click Change Settings. Click on both checkboxes of uTorrent.
- Step 5: Save everything and leave Windows Firewall.
Method 7: Delete the app Data from your system
One final method to try in case uTorrent keeps freezing is to delete all the data that got corrupted. The data stored by the app is usually important as it retains information about how much of the movie or song has been saved. However, if it causes any issue, it means that it needs to be discarded. This is how you do it.
- Step 1: Press Windows and R. This will open Run Command Box.
- Step 2: Type %appdata%. Press Enter.
- Step 3: The App-data Folder will open up. Right-click the folder of uTorrent and choose the Delete option.
- Step 4: Open the Recycle Bin and delete the app permanently by right-clicking and then choosing the delete option.
Once this is over, relaunch the app again and this time you are guaranteed to be able to download your movies without any freezing or crashing.
Method 8: Reinstalling uTorrent on your system
If none of the above methods are working then you may want to reinstall the software to solve uTorrent freezing problem. Do not worry, your files will not be affected. All the files that you downloaded with uTorrent will still be safe. Only the software will be uninstalled and then installed again in your device.
It will also help if uTorrent was not installed correctly on your device the first time or a corrupted version was downloaded previously.
- Open Control panel in your Windows 10 system.
- From the list of installed programs, select uTorrent and click Uninstall. The software will be uninstalled in a couple of minutes.
- Now, its better to restart the system when you uninstall any program so that the software can be completely removed from your system. Although, this step is optionsl
- Go to the official website and download uTorrent for your system. It is free.
Launch the software, uTorrent should run smoothly now.
Hey! So, you’re sorted.
We hope the rather comprehensive list of convenient methods above will help if uTorrent keeps freezing time and again. The same methods can be used if you have BitTorrent keeps freezing or crashing problems.
Glitches happen – but what’s important is to know how to fix it. Solutions can be tricky, and sometimes one solution that might have worked for someone might not work for you. TThat’s why – we’ve compiled a list of solutions so that you’ll have one or the other working at least.
Why is uTorrent not responding?
uTorrent is not responding for many reasons. First, you need to disable the firewall of your computer and restart. Firewall software consider uTorrent as a threat and stop it from working. Restarting your computer should solve this issue.
How do I fix uTorrent crashing issue?
If uTorrent keeps crashing, then it could be that your system’s firewall is blocking it and not letting it work properly. Disable the firewall and then restart your computer. If you are using multiple antivirus and firewalls then you may want to disable the unnecessary ones.
Is uTorrent safe to use?
Yes, uTorrent is very safe to use. uTorrent is not a malware and does not contain any software. In fact, uTorrent provides many customization options so that you can limit download and upload speed of the files if it’s affecting the performance of your system.
If I uninstall uTorrent would it delete my files?
No, all the files you downloaded using uTorrent will not be deleted when you uninstall uTorrent. Only the uTorrent software and installation files will be deleted.