Researchers say that over 40% of the world’s power needs are delivered by electricity. With this in mind, it’s not unreasonable to say that the world relies upon power electronics. Power electronics is the branch of electrical engineering that is concerned with the processing of currents and voltages, in order to deliver electricity to a variety of things, from household appliances to high-powered computers. Power electronics ensures that electronic items have electricity delivered to them as efficiently as possible.
This article will break down what power electronics are and what they are used for:
As we have already said, electricity is very important to the world’s infrastructure. This is especially true nowadays since governments around the world are recommending the use of electronic vehicles instead of traditional petrol-powered ones. In addition to delivering electricity to everyday appliances and car charging hubs, power electronics allows solar energy to be converted into AC and used in the electric grid.
Power electronics also converts wind energy, thermal, hydro, and nuclear so that it can be used on the commercial grid. Power electronics is also used to convert AC back to DC. There are various AC to DC converters available that are used professionally for this reason. Power electronics is, with all of this in mind, very important.
Everyday appliances rely heavily upon power electronics. Every electronic device that you use uses power electronics. Battery charges, mobile phones, and refrigerators, as well as boilers, electrical ovens, and Wi-Fi routers all need power electronics. The use of power electronics increases productivity decreases costs and increases efficiency for manufacturers and consumers. This is the main reason why there is such a large shift taking place toward electronics. Governments are realising that other methods of power are unsustainable.
Power electronics do not only allow for the delivery of electricity. They also help to conserve energy, which is one of the world’s leaders’ primary concerns at the moment. The main way that power electronics conserves energy is by allowing for a variance of electric motor drive speeds. Without power electronics, then electric motors would have to run at maximum speed, all the time. This would waste a lot of energy. Even devices not in use would be burning energy at an exponential rate.
In addition, power electronics conserve energy by allowing it to be transported over long distances with as little loss as possible. This is done by converting AC into DC, and vice versa. This saves the consumer and the energy provider lots of money. It also ensures that there is more energy to go around. By conserving energy, businesses are able to spread it around and use it in other places. When there is more energy going around, consumers have to pay less in energy bills. When there is a lack of energy, energy bills skyrocket and consumers are the ones who suffer. This is why power electronics is so incredibly beneficial.
Power Electronic Converters
Power electronic converters are used, like we have already explained, to convert AC to DC, and vice-versa. There are many benefits to these converters, including:
- There are lots of power electronics converters available for purchase, which means that they are very affordable. These devices can be found in a variety of different voltages and current ratings, all for a reasonable price. This makes them very efficient.
- They are very fast when compared to electro-mechanical or mechanical devices. They have a much faster dynamic response.
- They are also efficient because they do not lose power. As mentioned in the previous point, a loss of energy directly impacts consumers. Power electronic converters ensure minimal loss. In addition to not losing electricity, they can be turned on and off. When you do turn these devices on and off, the switching losses are incredibly low.
- They are highly reliable because they do not have any mechanical moving parts. Because there aren’t any mechanical moving parts, there are fewer opportunities for the converts to fail. This means that they are rugged, have a long life, and can perform in even the most difficult conditions.
- They have a very long life, and require very little maintenance because there aren’t any moving parts involved. In fact, some would say that power electronic converters do not require any maintenance at all. In addition, because they are so cheap, they can be replaced immediately, which saves time and money.
- They are small in size, which results in less weight, and, therefore, lower installation costs, which saves consumers and businesses lots of money. Some other benefits are that these devices do not take up a lot of floor space, they are easier to handle, they require less packing, and are much easier to transport. In addition to being easier to transport, they are cheaper to transport.
As we mentioned previously, power electronics can be used to convert solar energy into electrical power. There is a lot of support for the use of renewable and sustainable energy at the moment, particularly solar. Power electronics can be used to harness this energy for electricity, without producing harmful emissions, thus reducing the world’s carbon footprint. There are many benefits to using renewable energy, such as:
- Renewable energy does not produce any greenhouse gas emissions, nor does it contribute to the climate crisis. In fact, it is quite the opposite. Through the use of renewable energy, the world will be able to curb the climate crisis before it gets out of control.
- Renewable energy also diversifies energy supply and reduces people’s dependence on imported fuels.
- In addition, renewable energy creates economic development and jobs in manufacturing and installation.
Power electronics make renewable energy possible. For this reason, we can expect to see it being utilised more and more in the coming years. It provides governments with a way of converting renewable energy into electricity, which can power the homes of millions of Americans, and hundreds of millions of people from around the world.
There are many advantages to using power electronics, as this article shows. Now, you should know what they are, and what they are used for, as well as the benefits power electronics have for renewable energy.