If the brightness of your Android or iPhone seems to be lower than usual, you have probably wondered, ‘Why does my brightness keep going down’. Don’t worry, this is a query amongst many smartphone users. But it is a query that has multiple answers. Keep reading to find out the reasons behind the dimming of your phone and how it can be fixed.
To fix the brightness of your phone, first check and reset the auto-brightness settings. Turn off the auto-brightness. Now, disable the Low power option just go to settings > Battery > Low Power. Disable it using the toggle button. You may also want to disable TrueTone as it causes the brightness to fluctuate. Go to settings > Display and Brightness > TrueTone. Turn it off.
If these steps do not work, we have more solutions listed down below. You will no longer have to worry about why does my brightness keep going down anymore. Every solution has easy steps as listed below:
These are the methods you can follow to fix the brightness issues if you use an Android or iOS device.
1. Check your brightness settings or disable brightness adjustment if it’s automatic
The answer to the question, ‘Why does my brightness keep going down’ probably lies in the brightness settings in your phone. The reason why the brightness of your phone keeps going down on its own is probably due to the already set adjustments. This one is for Android devices.
This setting goes by different names such as Adaptive Brightness, Automatic Brightness, and even Auto-Dim.
- Open the Settings of your Android device.
- Search for the option under Display.
- If you find it enabled, then disable it quickly.
- In the same vein, sure that you disable your device’s battery saving mode. The latter has also been found to be a cause behind the brightness problem on Android.
2. Switching off the Automatic Brightness option
iPhone has the option of automatic brightness which can be switched on. The light sensor of an iPhone is ambient and usually adjusts to the level of brightness of the room in which you are. So, if you are in a dark room, the brightness of your iPhone will decrease automatically.
Now that you know the answer to the question, ‘Why does my brightness keep going down’ let’s see how we can fix it.
- Go to Settings and then choose Accessibility.
- From there go to the option of Display & Text Size.
- Now keep scrolling until you come across the Auto-Brightness toggle key.
- Switch it off so that the brightness of your iPhone does not decrease by itself.
- You may also ask Siri to control auto-brightness.
3. Disabling the option of Low Power
iPhone has an option called Low Power which if enabled will perform a lot of functions in order to save the power of your iPhone’s battery. One such function is to reduce the brightness of your screen.
If you switch off this mode, then your iPhone will no longer feel less bright than usual.
- Open Settings and then open Battery following which you disable the Low Power toggle key.
Doing this setting altercation usually helps fix the iPhone screen dimming problem in most devices. However, if it does not help in your case then keep reading for other alternative methods to fix the iPhone screen dimming issue.
4. Giving the Android device a “soft reset”
The most advised maneuver of fixing any defect in an Android device is to restart it. Restarting the device is supposed to be a like a first-aid for Android phones. It closes all the running instances, temp files, junk folders, and gives it a fresh start.
In fact, restarting the phone has more often than not fixed the problem.
- Press the power button for long and then choose the power off option that appears on screen.
- You can also choose the Restart option in case that appears.
- If restarting fails, perform a power cycle.
This is slightly time consuming as most Androids these days come with undetachable batteries.
As a result, you will have to drain the battery completely. Once the battery is completely drained, do not put it to charge. Instead, press the power button for long for five-seconds before you turn it on. This will provide the phone the much-required soft resetting.
5. Fixing other apps that control the brightness of your device
Some of the apps control the brightness of our smartphones. Check those apps and fix their settings.
If you are still having to deal with the question ‘Why does my brightness keep going down’ you might want to employ some other app. While there are many options to choose from, the most appropriate one for this job is Lux Lite. This app works as your device’s brightness manager.
Compared to the built-in settings of your Android, this app allows you to control brightness more. Assuming that the reason behind the brightness issue in your Android is the stock setting, this app will eradicate that problem. Just go to Play Store, download and then install the app.
6. Troubleshooting the brightness problems
In case the above methods do not work out and you are still struggling with the brightness issue, then it is probably because the problem is more severe than you thought. The only way you can eradicate this is through troubleshooting.
Troubleshooting becomes necessary when your device faces a potential hardware problem. The first thing you should do is check out the warranty of your device and the place where you purchased the Android phone from.
You are most probably not familiar with the hardware of your Android device, so do not try to fix anything by yourself. You might just complicate stuff even more. If it is a genuine hardware issue, then the only plausible solution is replacing it with brand new parts. For example, replacing the screen of your phone.
And now, these are methods you can follow to fix the brightness issues if you use an iPhone.
7. Disabling TrueTone
For those using iPhone 8 and above, you must have noticed the TrueTone feature in your iPhones that Apple has added. Its function is to adjust the brightness of your display as well as the colors automatically.
Sometimes it may not work as intended, thereby causing the brightness and colours of the iPhone to fluctuate frequently. The only option left for you is to disable this feature.
- Go to Settings and open Display and Brightness.
- Look for the toggle key for TrueTone and then switch it off.
Turning True Tone off has proven to fix the iPhone screen dimming problem in most cases.
8. Checking the feature of Night Shift
Just like TrueTone, Night Shift also controls the brightness of your iPhone screen so that your eyes are not strained. Even though it is not fully linked to the aspect of brightness, your screen may appear less bright than usual.
- Once again go to Settings and open Display and Brightness.
- Select Night Shift and switch off the two options.
9. Switching off the Low-Light Zoom Filter on iPhone
Another answer to the question, ‘Why does my brightness keep going down’ in an iPhone is due to the settings of the low-light Zoom filter. In case you have enabled it accidentally, you can turn it off.
- Go to Settings and then keep scrolling until come across the option of Accountability.
- Choose the Zoom option and check if the option is switched on in the next screen.
- If they are, click the Zoom Filter below.
- If they are not, change the settings to “None”.
Follow these methods to fix the brightness of your device in chronological order. You will no longer have to deal with the question Why does my iPhone brightness keep changing. Most of these tips involve making some changes in the settings of your phone.
However, if nothing works then as a last resort you can install a brightness manager app to manage the brightness of your device.