If there is one thing that every potential iPhone user looks forward to, it is using the Hey Siri feature. This is one of the most genius and invaluable creations of Apple that has made its iOS devices so lucrative. Siri is the assistant we never had, it really quite brilliant in helping us through our day to day life.
The best part is that you can say the words “Hey Siri” even if your phone is not close to. The moment Siri recognises your voice, it will immediately transform into the command mode and will be ready to take up your orders.
And yet sometimes, users have mentioned how they have to deal with the Hey Siri not working issue. The virtual assistant that makes your life so much easier is not avaiable for you. If you happen to be one of those who is facing the Hey Siri not working issue, you have come to the right place.
To fix the Hey Siri not working issue, the quick resorts would be first to check your internet connectivity as Siri needs an active internet connection, check your battery backup because Siri is a power hungry virtual assistant and finally rebooting your device. If Hey Siri is still not working then follow the steps mentioned below to fix the issue permanently.
Keep reading the rest of the article to know what is it that you can do in order to fix the Hey Siri not working issue.
Why is Hey Siri not working?
You have uttered the two words followed by your command and yet you are having to deal with the Hey Siri not working issue. Siri is not listening and processing your command, thereby opening whatever website or movie that your wish to view.
So, why does the Hey Siri not working issue happen in the first place. Let’s go through a few reasons and the subsequent solutions as well.
1. Have you switched on the Hey Siri option in your iPhone?
The first step towards solving the Hey Siri not working issue is by checking and ensuring that the option has been enabled in the iOS device. It is possible that you might have accidentally switched off Siri, thereby causing the Hey Siri not working issue.
You can check whether or not Siri is enabled on your iOS device by opening its Settings option.
- Go to the option that says Siri & Search and then navigate to Listen for Hey Siri.
- Make sure that the switch is on.
- If it is the case, you will not face the Hey Siri not working issue.
2. Can your iOS support Hey Siri untethered?
It has been discovered that untethered Hey Siri cannot function in all devices equally. In some Apple devices it is important that the device in question is plugged in a power source. This power source can be the USB port of your system or even an AC adapter.
Only when it is plugged will you be able to avoid the Hey Siri not working issue. At the same time there are those devices that do not require this external power source in order for Hey Siri to function properly. This includes all iPhones from iPhone 6 and above as well as the iPad Pro which is 12.9 inches long.
If your device does not fall in the above category, it is natural for it to face the Hey Siri not working issue. The reason behind this is the battery usage of Hey Siri. Since, it consumes a lot of power, some backup battery is necessary in order to avoid the Hey Siri not working issue.
3. Is there a stable internet connection at your place?
Another reason behind the occurrence of the Hey Siri not working problem is not having access to an internet connection that is active and stable. The source of this internet connection is not relevant (it can be cellular network or WiFi).
But as long as it cannot connect to Siri, the Hey Siri not working issue will crop up. You will receive an error message regarding the same. To check whether or not your network is working properly, open any browser and try to load any webpage.
If the page opens without any difficulty, it means you won’t have to deal with the Hey Siri not working issue. If not, then you will have to reboot your router or use another cellular connection.
If the problem is solved temporarily by supplying a good internet connection then maybe the problem is with your internet connection and not with Siri. Check the speed of your internet connection and talk to your internet service provider.
4. Have you switched on the Low Power Mode?
If you have switched on the Low Power Mode, you will encounter the Hey Siri not working issue. As explained previously, Siri has an insatiable hunger for power (no pun intended).
Therefore, if you are using it and trying to save power simultaneously, the former will disable eventually causing the Hey Siri not working error. Either switch off the Low Power Mode or charge up your device.
Activating the low power mode, disables a lot of unnecessary apps and services. It will also decrease the brightness and take some other steps in order to make your device last longer on low power.
If your device really is running on low power and you don’t think you will be able to charge it anytime soon then its actually wise to turn off Siri to save the power.
5. Rebooting the device
Even the iPhone is not infallible and therefore may malfunction due to a glitch in software. These glitches may cause the Hey Siri not working error and can be fixed by a simple reboot. Rebooting is very easy.
- All you have to do is press power for some time and an option will appear on your screen.
- You will have to slide the power off option to your right.
- Wait for a few seconds and then press power until the Apple logo appears.
- Now check if the Hey Siri not working issue is still bothering you or not.
Rebooting iPhone resolves a lot of other problems too. After running for a long time, our device accumulates a lot of junk files, folders and temp files. Even after we close the apps, some of them do not get closed properly and keep using a portino of the RAM.
Rebooting will reinitialize the RAM and give it a clear start so that all the glitches can be fixed. For proper working of your iPhone, keep giving it regular reboots.
6. Try to recalibrate Hey Siri
Before setting up Siri, every iPhone user is required to say “Hey Siri” a number of times. This is to ensure that the service initialises properly. This is called calibration and for Siri to function properly, it is necessary.
If you are facing the Hey Siri not working issue, then that is probably because of some fault in the calibration.
- Open the Settings option and then go to Siri & Search.
- Now look for the option that reads Listen for “Hey Siri” and then disable it.
- Now turn it on back again.
Upon doing so, you will receive an interface wherein you will have to click on the button and will have to follow the calibration steps. Your iPhone or iPad will learn to recognise your voice again. This is usually meant for those who have a heavy accent or those who mumble.
7. Is the microphone of your device working?
Another reason for the Hey Siri not working issue can be traced to any problems plaguing the microphone. If it came in contact with water or there is some dirt in the microphone, it will not allow it to function properly.
- To check if your microphone is in top shape or not, install any app wherein you will be able to use the Siri Dictation option.
- If there is no movement in the waveform of your voice, that means the microphone of your device is non-functional.
- This means that the Hey Siri not working issue is inevitable.
- If the microphone has been covered by a thick or bulky case like Lifeproof or Otterbox, remove it.
- You should also clean up the microphone so that the dust accumulated inside goes away.
- After this, check if the Hey Siri not working is still bothering you or not.
8. Restoring the iOS device
If rebooting the device did not prove to be of any help, it means that there is some major software issue like a corrupt file. This could potentially cause the Hey Siri not working problem.
- Go to iTunes and see if you can restore the device and fix the Hey Siri not working issue.
- This method is to be used in case of severe situations such as software extensions that can modify the functioning of Siri.
9. Contacting Apple
Assuming that all the above methods listed above did not work, the only measure that you can resort to now, is contacting Apple. If the warranty period has not expired, Apple technicians will fix the issue without charging anything.
Even if the warranty period has expired, the technicians can fix your phone at some cost.